Friday, 20 May 2011

Strawberry swirl marshmallows


We all have our dirty little secrets and I’m no exception. I have a lot of dirty kitchen secrets and my biggest one is - I adore marshmallows!
I know they have absolutely no nutritional value, they are basically just sugar, gelatin and food colouring but I just can't resist them. I mean, who could resist that wonderful, little fluffy pillows of pure delight.


Usually I don’t buy them very often but when I do I can’t stop eating them. I allow myself just a few every now and then, especial when I’m in need for something comforting. Then I buy the smallest package possible, make some hot cocoa and indulge.


I’ve been wanting to make homemade marshmallows for ages. I was intrigued with whole concept of making something so fluffy at home. To tell the truth I didn’t think it was possible, or at least not possible to make them as fluffy as store-bought ones. Nevertheless I had to give them a try, just to see what all the fuss is about. Only problem was I didn’t have candy thermometer and I wasn’t confident enough to make them without it. So when my dear friend landed me hers there was no more waiting, I was going to make some marshmallows right away.


Since I’ve never worked with candy thermometer before I thought it would be very complicated procedure. I prepared myself for total kitchen fiasco and a lot of uneatable marshmallows in result. Once again I was wrong. Marshmallows were easy to make and candy thermometer turned out to be really wonderful kitchen gadget. I have to get one for myself very soon. :)


This recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart, I love Martha’s recipes they are all very well written and reliable and my marshmallows came out nice and fluffy, even better then store-bought ones.


INGREDIENTS
(adapted form: Martha Stewart)
400 g/14 oz sugar
180 ml/6 fl. oz water
1 teaspoon agave nectar (or corn syrup)
27 g/1 oz gelatin
50 ml/1,5 fl. oz water (for gelatin)
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
few drops of strawberry flavouring


DIRECTIONS
  • Line the bottom of 30-cm/9-inch baking tray with parchment paper. Gently grease the parchment paper with some oil, set aside.
  • In a small sauce pan, combine sugar, agave nectar and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Turn down the heat and cook without stirring until mixture reaches 130 C/260 F on candy thermometer.
  • While sugar is cooking, sprinkle gelatin over a bowl of cold water, add vanilla extract and leave it to soften.
  • Whisk gelatin into sugar mixture.
  • Beat the egg whites in a bowl of an electric mixer until stiff but not dry.
  • Gently pour the sugar mixture into the egg white with mixer running on small speed. When all of the sugar is added continue to mix on high speed until very thick, for 15 – 20 minutes.
  • Pour the mixture into prepared baking tray. Dot it with strawberry flavouring. Using toothpick, swirl the flavouring into marshmallow.
  • Let it stand at room temperature for 3 – 4 hours or overnight. Cut in squares, coat in powder sugar and serve with hot cocoa.

5 comments:

Eve said...

What kind of cocoa did you use? It looks amazing!

Mika said...

I'm not a marshmallow fan, but I try to make them once...The recipe was very similar to yours...they turn out great, the only problem was that they dry very soon...How about yours?

Sarah said...

These are so beautiful! And i absolutely adore marshmallows! bookmarked!

Charissa said...

Normally I try to avoid sugar, but these look so enchanting I just HAD to comment. Beautiful. If I had this at a child's party I think it would be PERFECT.

Andrea said...

Thank you for commenting, everyone!
@Eve, if you'r asking about cocoa in the cup, it's just regular unsweetened cocoa powder combined with some honey and dissolved in hot milk.
@Mika, this marshmallows didn't dry very fast but I kept them the in airtight container and in the fridge. The original recipe suggested keeping them at room temperature but I think it's better to keep them in the fridge. :)

Recent Posts