Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Vanilla semifreddo with raspberry coulis


When I was growing up my favourite fruits were strawberries. I couldn't wait for warm summer days and first small, red berries from my grandma’s garden. Now days you can get strawberries all year round in super markets, and they’re large, intensively red and beautiful, and they have absolutely no flavour.


Raspberries, on the other hand, were complete mystery to me when I was a kid. I guess they just aren’t the kind of fruit that grows in harsh Dalmatian climate with very hot summers with little rain and without good soils. I was introduced to raspberries quite late in life, when I came to live in continental part of the country. Raspberries are very common fruit in these parts of Croatia and you can get wonderful and flavourful ones on local farmers markets. I fell in love with raspberries first time I’ve try them and now I love them even more then strawberries.


Although I love to eat these little berries on their own, they make such a wonderful addition to cakes, muffins and ice creams. One of my favourite desserts with raspberries is this vanilla semifeddo.
Semifreddo is easy to make especially if you don’t own ice cream machine. While making an ice cream without the ice cream machine can be a bother, for making semifreddo you won’t need any special kitchen gadgets. Semifreddo doesn’t need to be stirred every half an hour; you just pour it in the mould and let it freeze. Isn’t that just wonderful and time saving?


about food



INGREDIENTS
for raspberry coulis
200 g/7 oz raspberries
100 g/3,5 oz sugar

for semifreddo
4 egg yolks
1 egg
100 g/3,5 oz sugar
1 vanilla pod
400 ml/13,5 fl. oz whipping cream

DIRECTIONS
  • In a small sauce pan, combine raspberries and sugar. Cook over low heat until sugar melts and raspberry sauce starts to thicken. Leave it to cool down to room temperature.
  • In heat proof glass bowl, combine egg yolk, 1 whole egg and sugar. With a knife, cut a vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add vanilla seed to eggs.
  • Put eggs and sugar over double boiler and cook whisking constantly. You should cook them for quite long, until your hand starts to hurt and eggs start to thicken.
  • Remove it from heat and put aside.
  • Whip the cream and fold it gently into egg mixture.
  • Cover the rectangular with the clinging film and then pour in the egg and whipping cream mixture.
  • Add the raspberry sauce and stir a bit to incorporate them into the mixture.
  • Freeze for 3 – 4 hours or overnight.
  • When frozen, take it out of the freezer and remove clinging film gently.
  • Cut the semifreddo into desired size pieces. Place individual pieces on a serving plate and top with berries.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your photos are absolutely gorgeous! looks delicious.

xq said...

yum, this looks marvelous and makes me excited for summer :)

Sex Movies said...

This dessert looks perfect! Very delicious and also cooling.

Sarah said...

this is so beautiful!

Lea said...

Very beautiful! I love the contrast between the white and the red!

Recent Posts