Saturday, 26 March 2011

Celeriac soup with green peas and spelt crackers


Spring is finally here and we had a first sunny and warm day yesterday. This winter was really long and tiresome so I think everyone was glad to see a little bit of sunshine. Everybody looked happier, tons of people were out in the streets just walking and enjoying. Unfortunately I had to work for most of the day but I did get to enjoy some sunshine myself while strolling home from work.


Spring always inspires me to cook, especially to cook lighter vegetable meals that are healthy as much as comforting. And you have to admit that there is something very comforting in a bowl of homemade soup.

Every time I think of soup first thing that pops in my mind is my mom’s most perfect beef soup. Well that soup is truly comforting; I’m telling you there’s nothing that that soup couldn’t fix.
Since I’m in the mood for lighter foods I didn’t even consider making beef soup but instead I made this very rich and creamy vegetable one.


I love all kinds of soups but cream soups are my favorites and I make them regularly. I really love all of the possibilities and combinations these soups give, and I like to make them with all kinds of vegetables. People usual like them and you can never go wrong with cream of mushroom soup or carrot soup. Then why not try celeriac soup?
Celeriac or celery root is very common vegetable in Croatia, it’s widely used in soups and sauces and you can get it all year round. It’s usually used in vegetable mix for clear soups such as beef soup mention above but it’s makes a wonderful cream soup also.


If you make spelt cracker to accompany the soup, you’ll have a perfect dinner and won’t need anything else.
Don’t let this crackers scare you off, they are easy to make and they are almost fat free. I added some fresh rosemary that made them very aromatic. If, by any chance, you don’t like rosemary you could use any herb you like.


Before I share the recipe with you I just want to remind you to turn your lights off tonight between 20.30 and 21.30 for Earth Hour.


For the soup

INGREDIENTS
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
300 g/ 10 oz celeriac, peeled and chopped
150 g/ 5 oz potato, peeled and chopped
700 ml/ fl oz vegetable stock
150 g/ 5 oz fresh green peas
pinch of rosemary
pinch of basil
pinch of marjoram
pinch of oregano
2 tbsp olive oil
salt
pepper
sour cream for serving

DIRECTIONS
  • In a large sauce pan heat the olive oil over moderate heat.
  • Add the onion and fry until softened.
  • Add garlic and all of the spices, fry for few minutes.
  • Add the celeriac and potatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper, stir well and then add vegetable stock.
  • Cook on low heat until very soft.
  • Puree celeriac and potatoes until creamy; add some additional stock or water if you want.
  • In another pot cook peas until cooked.
  • Before serving add some sour cream and cooked peas, serve it with spelt crackers

For the crackers

INGREDIENTS
50 g/ 2 oz spelt flour
50 g/ 2 oz all purpose flour
80 g/ 3 oz low fat cottage cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
fresh rosemary
sesame seeds if desired

DIRECTIONS
  • Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 365 F.
  • In a bowl, combine both of the flours.
  • Add cheese, olive oil, baking powder, salt and rosemary.
  • Mix it all whit your hands until mixture becomes a dough.
  • On a floured surface, roll it into a rectangle and cut out cracker with cookie cutter.
  • If you wish you can sprinkle the cracker with some sesame seeds before baking them. Best way to this is to brush each cracker with mixture of some water and flour and then sprinkle them. This way sesame won’t fall of.
  • Bake them in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes and serve them hot or cold.

3 comments:

steve said...

Very nice pictures ! I like the country feels a lot :)Keep up the good work.

baobabs said...

this looks amazing and stunning, enticing photos! Would love to have a soup now!

La Roquette said...

Just came across your blog, Love your photography :)


Check out my blog at la-roquette.blogspot.com

Recent Posts